Metal-Fi's Official Dedicated Vinyl Mastering Thread

As an outgrowth of the discussion found here, it was suggested that Metal-Fi should curate a dedicated vinyl master list. I'm all for that but that is going to take a little time to get up and running (Dave and I plan that for 2017. Note: Dave doesn't know that yet). The goal is something akin to the unofficial DR database but a focus on metal and masters more than just DR scores.

Anyway, while I plan to get this all in place, what was also suggested is that we get a thread going as a placeholder for folks to contribute what they have discovered from petitioning labels, artists, and engineers about their favorite vinyl releases.

Note: A dedicated vinyl master doesn't necessarily mean a high dynamic one so you need to very careful when you provide a listing. If you have a DR score from the digital master itself, post it. Needle drops are meaningless and are often very misleading so don't post it. If you don't have a DR score, that's fine, you can add a note that the label and/or engineer claims it is less compressed than the digital one (at least it's a start).

For example:

Artist: Ulcerate
Album: Shrines of Paralysis
Source: Band confirmed that the vinyl is dedicated and slightly less compressed than its digital counterpart.

Artist: Vainaja
Album: Verenvalaja
DR: 11
Source: Band confirmed that the vinyl master is the same one as the 24-bit HDR vresion found on Bandcamp.
Co-Founder/Chief Editor
Metal-Fi - Facebook - Bandcamp - Twitter

Re: Metal-Fi's Official Dedicated Vinyl Mastering Thread

A list like that would be a great thing since the DR database is so unreliable, some vinyl uploads at least have a commentary by the uploader which might give you more of an idea whether it's a dedicated master.
There are a few albums where I haven't seen any confirmation but am pretty certain that there is a dedicated master.
One of those is "Eluveitie - Origins" where the vinyl rip measures DR14 and you can tell that the vinyl is far superior to the CD just by listening to it. There is also the Official Video for one track on youtube which has a DR15 master so that could be seen as a confirmation. "Helvetios" should have a dedicated master too.
A similar story is "In Flames - Sounds Of A Playground Fading" where the CD is just horrible and the vinyl clearly sounds way better.

About fucking time. Thank you. I don't think needle drop DRs are meaningless. If something has a dedicated master and the DR is more or less the same as the CD I might not be compelled to buy it unless a person makes a convincing case, but if the needle drop is double the numbers and it's a dedicated, that will change my mind. It's important to get a clean copy with low clicks. Also if multiple versions exist, specify the version.

Ghost - Meliora (Black Vinyl, US version) DR 13
Not confirmed but it is a total step up from the CD. Huge difference. Anyone can tell. Noisy pressing, but it's worth it if you are a fan of the album.

Summoning - All Vinyl
Spoke with a representative online they said they are all sourced from the CD master. Used my ears and level matched Oath Bound. Sounds like an accurate statement.

Dawnbringer - XX DR 11
Confirmed by Chris Black. Noisy vinyl but sounds better than the digital version.

!T.O.O.H.! - Rad A Trest
Dedicated master, confirmed by the guy who pressed them on his label. Might even be a remix. Although I think the CD sounds better.

Vhol - Deeper Than Sky DR 12
Dedicated. Confirmed with online representative guy.

I have more i'll post later.
Last edited by LuciferianImperium on Sun May 21, 2017 8:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TIamat - Wildhoney (2016 Century Media Repress)
Dedicated master, says so on the sticker, and information online about it.
Sounds good to me, classic album

Iced Earth - Horror Show (2016 Vinyl Repress)
Dedicated master, sticker and information online.
Original did not sound bad, this sounds slightly better to me.

Wolf - The Black Flame (2016 Century Media)
Original CD was a super compressed DR5 this is close to double the dynamics.

Can someone find out about Triptykon vinyl? Also if there is a difference in the Monotheist vinyl reissues.

Anata - The Infernal Depths Of Hatred
Remastered for vinyl by Conkrere Studios (2016). This LP actually sounds a bit off at low volume...demands to be cranked.

Gorod - A Perfect Absolution
Dedicated. Confirmed by Unique Leader Records.

Horrendous - Anareta
Dedicated. Confirmed by Matt @ Dark Descent Records.

Obsequiae - Aria Of Vernal Tombs
Dedicated. Confirmed by 20 Buck Spin.

Fredrik Thordendal's Special Defects ‎– Sol Niger Within
Dedicated. Lacquer and DMM editions available. Remastered by Scott Hull (2016)

Cannibal Corpse (2016 reissues of first 5 album)
Mastered from original tapes. Confirmed by Metal Blade. I also compared to rips I've done of original pressings, couldn't spot any differencees.

A few pressings with unconfirmed master sources, but have excellent dynamics and clarity: Amon Amarth - Versus The World (BOB 2012 reissue). Gorod - Maze Of Recycled Creeds, Suplhur Aeon - Gateway To The Antisphere, Soreption - Engineering The Void.

LuciferianImperium wrote:Iced Earth - Horror Show (2016 Vinyl Repress)
Original did not sound bad, this sounds slightly better to me.

This goes for all the recent Iced Earth re-releases. I have Burnt Offerings, Days of Purgatory, The Dark Saga, and Something Wicked This Way Comes, and although the colored versions are a bit noisy the sound quality is good. Plus stickers and info online confirm dedicated master.

MiguelRey wrote:Mgła - With Hearts Towards None
Dedicated. 2016 reissue remastered for vinyl.

Also, some geezer recently uploaded a rip of Exercises In Futility on youtube. Sounds a lot clearer than the digital version.
*EDIT* Confirmed dedicated via Mgla's FB - " Different mastering was done for the vinyl version in order to optimize the audio for this medium."

Mgla has never been crazy compressed. But what does the above *really* mean?
Co-Founder/Chief Editor
Metal-Fi - Facebook - Bandcamp - Twitter